Who can be a member?
Broadly speaking, membership is open to all those who support the work and aims of ASIS and meet the requirements below. This is likely to include those involved in talking therapies (for example, coaching, counselling, education, psychotherapy and clinical psychology), those involved in somatic modalities (for example, body coaching, breathwork, massage, surrogacy and trauma release), and those involved in energy work (for example, healing, sexual shamanism and Tantric and Taoist practices). In addition, it might include journalists and other professionals who wish to support our work.
Details of the different categories of membership and the specific eligibility criteria are below.
Each application is taken on its own merits and we welcome applicants with a variety of training backgrounds. Some training programmes (listed below) have been assessed by our insurers as offering the necessary depth of training required for professional insurance purposes, however, completion of an ASIS-recognised training programme is not a requirement of Professional Membership - just as passing such a training programme does not automatically guarantee acceptance.
ASIS recognises that in this diverse field not all practitioners work in the same way, nor do they necessarily arise from the same training background. We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and modalities. Each application is taken on its own merits.
In order to become a member of ASIS, applicants must meet the following criteria.
- are fully committed to the Aims and Objectives of ASIS
- are working with clients on issues related to sex and intimacy (with the possible exception of student members)
- recognise the wholistic nature of their work
- follow the ASIS Code of Conduct
- are committed to supporting each other and the community. To enable ASIS to be primarily self-regulating, this requires that all ASIS members join an “ASIS Circle” to offer each other peer group support
- that if required and on request, Professional and Associate Members offer mediation support to the ASIS Complaints and Disciplinary Procedure. It is hoped that no member (unless on the Committee) would be requested to do more than one case per year. It is intended that the collaborative and supportive structure of ASIS will keep such cases to a minimum, but inevitably they can occur.
ASIS invites practitioners to self-identify as ASIS members, based on the personal integrity of their own practice and their intention to follow the ASIS Code of Ethics.
Completion of an ASIS-recognised training programme is not a requirement of Professional Membership, just as passing an ASIS-recognised training programme does not automatically guarantee acceptance.
Categories of membership
There are three levels of membership:
You are invited to become a Student Member if you are engaged in training with an aim of becoming a practitioner of somatic and integrative sexology.
For student members, ASIS can support a better understanding of how you want to develop your own gifts and offerings; what training is going to be most helpful to you; plus connect you into your new community through our member-only Facebook group and the ASIS Mentoring and Professional Supervision programs.
Benefits; Professional standards, ASIS Circles, Mentoring opportunities, Community support, CPD information.
Student membership costs £15 p.a. plus a one-off £10 administration charge. The cost of Student membership will be subtracted on a pro-rata basis from Prof membership applications.
This membership category is for those who wish to support the work and aims of ASIS and do not require insurance.
Associate Members may include:
- psychotherapists, clinical psychologists and counsellors who may refer to somatic sexologists
- healers, energy workers and others who do not require ASIS's specialised insurance cover
- journalists and other professionals who wish to support our work
Benefits: Insurance, Professional standards, ASIS Circles, Supervision opportunities, Community support, CPD information.
Associate Membership costs £35 p.a. plus a one-off £10 administration charge.
A Professional Member is likely to have completed at least one foundational training programme in their field. They are likely to be involved in some form of ongoing supervision/mentoring and continuing professional development (CPD).
Professional Members can benefit from ASIS Insurance which gives insurance cover for touch sessions with clients. Insurance is available to Professional Members who are resident in the UK, Ireland and most of Europe. It is operative world wide (excluding the USA and Canada) and is particularly wide in scope.
We recognise that this profession is a calling, not just a qualification. Equally, a qualification alone does not necessarily a somatic sexologist make. However, as ASIS is acting as the verification body on behalf of the insurers, all applications need to be assessed by our Membership Committee.
Benefits: Professional standards, Insurance, ASIS Circles, Access to a discounted mediation service, Supervision opportunities, Community support, CPD information.
Professional membership costs £65 p.a. plus a one-off £10 administration charge.
Somatic Sexology training programs currently recognised by ASIS
The following training programmes have been assessed by our insurers as offering the necessary depth of training required for professional insurance purposes. We welcome applicants who have other training also. Each application is taken on its own merits, so completion of an ASIS-recognised training programme is not a requirement of Professional Membership, just as passing such a training programme does not automatically guarantee acceptance.
We welcome course providers to send us your training pathway for ASIS insurance recognition. Applications are reviewed annually and the next review date is September 2016.
- Certificate in Sexological Bodywork (CSB)
- Certificate in Somatic Sex Education (CSSE)
- Psychosexual & Relationship Counsellor / Therapist diploma or MSc.
- Psychosexual Somatics® Therapy (PSST) Practitioner Training
- Sex Coach U Professional Sex Coach Certification
- The Paths of Transformation Tantra Massage Professional Training and Certification Program